Whether you are starting a new business, or starting the job hunt, branding is an important first step. While this often gets put off to the side, it’s important that you take the time to focus on this step. Before we get into why branding is important, let’s back up and define what branding is.
Entrepreneur defines branding as “The marketing practice of creating a name, symbol or design that identifies and differentiates a product from other products” It is essentially who you (or your business) is and what you stand for. It is much more than a logo. Let’s take a look at what encompasses a great brand
Essential Pieces To The Branding Puzzle
- Logo: This is the visual representation of your business, or yourself. It’s a very important step to the branding process, but don’t get too hung up on this step. If you need tips and inspiration check out this article from 99designs.
- Color Palette: This step is a lot more complex than just choosing a few colors and calling it a day. You do not want to do that! Instead, it’s important to first figure out what colors describe your business and pick a few that work well together.
- Typography: Like your color palette, the font you use will also describe the vibe of your business. For example, a serif font is typically used for more professional businesses, while script font works well if you are going for a classy vibe.
- Mission Statement: This should only be a few sentences long. It’s purpose is to define what your business stands for and aspires to be.
- Vision Statement: What do you see for your business in the future? What goals will you achieve in your industry.
- Identifiers: These are necessary to define now so that your business stays consistent throughout seasons of growth. People may come and go, and it’s important that any new employees that come in, and customers, know up front what you are about.
Is All Of This Really Necessary?
Yes! Branding is an important first step to success in your business, or your job search. It helps you stand apart from the crowd and become more memorable. It also is a great building block for growth, especially where businesses are concerned. By figuring out your branding now, you’ll be able to stay consistent despite any changes that may occur, like hiring new employees.
Where Do I Start?
Now that you know how important branding is, it’s time to develop your own. One of the best ways to do this is by asking yourself some questions.
- What do I want people to remember about my business?
- Who are my products and services for?
- How will my message be best portrayed through my branding?
Answer these and you’ll be on your way to discovering your brand, and future customers discovering you.
Did you know I had a branding package? If you would rather have your branding done for you I’d love to help. This will free you up to focus on other important tasks. Contact me today to set up your FREE consultation call.